Odor Control Systems
APC Technologies offers five odor control systems:
Choosing An Odor Control System
A variety of factors should be considered when selecting an odor control system, including inlet odor concentrations, contaminants present and loading levels, and lifecycle cost of each system. APC has no bias toward any technology and is pleased to present multiple technologies with comparison of capital and operating costs.
- APC’s CarbonPure Odor Control Systems utilize tailored activated carbon or other adsorption or chemisorption media to provide high-efficiency odor removal – up to and in excess of 99%. Both hydrocarbon-based and sulfurous odors (e.g., H2S, mercaptans) are particularly well suited for adsorption systems. These systems are often simpler, lower capital cost, and lower maintenance than the other technologies. CarbonPure adsorption systems come in both once-through and regenerative types.
- APC’s GP Packed Tower Scrubbers can provide very high odor control efficiency for applications where the odors are reactive or soluble. GP packed tower scrubbers maximize absorption of VOCs through use of proper up-front modeling, high-efficiency low-loss packing, and proper scrubbing liquid system design. GP scrubbers offer corrosion- and temperature-resistant construction as needed, with vertical, horizontal, and multi-stage units available.
- APC’s CP Series Catalytic Oxidizers use high-efficiency catalysts to achieve 97%-99% destruction of hydrocarbon and other odors at lower operating temperatures. APC often applies the unique Ultra High-Efficiency Filter (UHF®) as a pre-filter to protect the catalyst and typically guarantees catalyst life at a minimum of 3 years. Depending on composition and heat content of the gas stream, APC’s catalytic oxidizers may require little or no natural gas to sustain required temperatures, through use of high-efficiency heat exchangers.
- APC’s ThermPure Series Thermal Oxidizers can also provide very high odor control efficiencies – 99% plus – of hydrocarbon and other odors through high-temperature conversion of the emissions to products of combustion. APC offers primary and secondary heat exchangers to maximize the energy efficiency of the thermal oxidizer.
- For applications where the odors are in solid phase (e.g., smoke), aerosol droplets, or can be condensed out of gas phase into aerosol, APC’s Ultra High-Efficiency Filter (UHF®) System can provide 95% plus odor control, at typically lower capital, operating and maintenance costs than the other technologies. The UHF® filter system has proven to provide substantial removal efficiencies even on gas-phase odors, where less than 90% removal efficiency is acceptable. The UHF® system offers simultaneous high removal efficiency of the VOCs and any oil mist and solid particulate matter, without any plugging problems at all, and offers simple operation and extremely low maintenance costs, with no process downtime required for filter replacement.
Odor Control System Applications
Include: adhesives, asphalt plants and terminals, bakeries, chemical plants, coating operations, composites, drying ovens, food processing, foundries, furniture manufacture, lubricant production, oil pipeline terminals, oil refineries, painting operations, petrochemical plants, plastics, polymers, printing, pulp and paper manufacture, resins, roofing products, rubber products, pharmaceuticals, sealants, solar power plants, spray drying operations, textile finishing, tire operations, wastewater treatment, and others.